An IELTS Writing Task 2 question on the topic of nuclear technology
I know nuclear technology may not be a topic you often think about but it’s a topic you need to think about before your IELTS Writing test.
I’m saying this because you could get an IELTS Writing Task 2 question like the one below from the official IELTS website in your test.
The threat of nuclear weapons maintains world peace. Nuclear power provides cheap and clean energy.
The benefits of nuclear technology far outweigh the disadvantages.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
If you’re looking at this IELTS Writing Task 2 topic and worried that you don’t have enough ideas (or enough vocabulary), then read on…
The benefits and disadvantages of nuclear technology
Here’s a summary of ideas on the topic of nuclear technology for IELTS Writing Task 2 questions.
The benefits of nuclear technology:
- Nuclear power stations emit less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than other types of power station
- The cost of nuclear power is not affected by changes in the price of oil or gas
- The threat of nuclear weapons can prevent countries from attacking one another
The disadvantages of nuclear technology:
- Nuclear power stations produce high- and low-level radioactive waste
- The cost of building nuclear power stations is high
- Accidents at nuclear power stations can have disastrous consequences
- The consequences of using nuclear weapons are extremely serious
Check out the following article if you want to read about some of these ideas in more detail.
Having lots of ideas on this topic means you’ll find it easier to write at least 250 words if you get a similar IELTS Writing Task 2 question in your test.
If you do get a similar question, you won’t have enough time to develop all of these ideas – you only have around 40 minutes for IELTS Writing Task 2 – but it means you’ll be able to choose those that you can explain clearly in English.
If you can think of any other advantages or disadvantages of nuclear technology, please share your ideas in the comments section below. I’m sure other IELTS candidates will appreciate more ideas on this IELTS Writing Task 2 topic.