IELTS Speaking Part 1 questions
Have look at the following IELTS Speaking Part 1 questions from the book Cambridge IELTS 7 and think about how you would answer them. (You could use these topics to get some IELTS Speaking practice with some other IELTS candidates or English-speaking friends.)
Keeping in contact with people
- How do you usually contact your friends?
- Do you prefer to contact different people in different ways?
- Do you find it easy to keep in contact with friends and family?
- What kinds of thing make you laugh?
- Do you like making other people laugh?
Now, watch the video below to see an IELTS band score 7.0 candidate, Asaka, answer the same questions, and think about whether you could have answered the questions as easily as she does.
How to answer IELTS Speaking Part 1 questions and make it look easy
As you may have seen me explain in the video, to get a band score 7 for your speaking, it needs to look easy for you to give extended answers to IELTS Speaking questions.
One way to make it look easy is to…
- correct your mistakes quickly or don’t correct them at all
(You may have noticed in the video that Asaka quickly corrected some of the mistakes that she made).
If you make a mistake and you know how to correct it, my advice is to correct yourself straight away and then continue speaking. If you make a mistake but don’t know how to correct it, it would probably be better not to try.
Another way to make answering questions look easy is to…
- become familiar with different types of IELTS Speaking Part 1 question (and practice answering them)
The following links include some more examples of IELTS Speaking Part 1 questions:
- Speaking Part 1 questions and sample answer from the British Council
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 topics on my blog
If you’ve got any other suggestions about how to make answering IELTS Speaking Part 1 questions look easy, please leave a comment below.